Join the Illinois Immigrant Integration Summit as we commit to fighting for Comprehensive Immigration Reform in 2013, and to celebrate our 2012 accomplishments, including passage of SB 957, Driver's License legislation for all immigrants!
- DOORS OPEN AT 8AM -
9:00 am - 10:30 am : Diverse Workshops and Panels offered by ICIRR and Member Organizations
Please see workshop descriptions below and visit http://www.icirr.org/summit for more information and to register.
10:45 am - 11:45 am : Achieving Comprehensive Immigration Reform: A Panel Discussion With
Clarisol Duque, Chicago Director, Office of U.S. Senator Dick Durbin
Mehrdad Azemun, Immigration Campaign Manager, FIRM / Center for Community Change
Fred Tsao, Policy Director, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
Moderator: Tuyet Le, Executive Director, Asian American Institute.
12:00pm - 1:00pm : Closing Session with members, allies and elected officials.
WORKSHOPS: All workshops are free to the public!
For longer descriptions and to register, please visit http://www.icirr.org/summit
- Citizenship Workshop - You and your family can apply to become U.S. citizens!
- DACAmented Youth & Allies: Take Action! - Do you want to learn about next steps after you've been "DACAmented"?
- What Every Family Needs to Know (English) - Learn your rights and get information about Family Unity Waivers and Temporary Visitors Drivers Licenses!
- Lo que cada familia necesita saber sobre (Español) - Entender sus derechos, Perdón para la unidad familiar, y las nuevas licencias de conducir en Illinois.
- Healthy Communities, Healthy Families - Join us for an overview of of the Affordable Care Act and what should be expected in 2014.
- Parent Mentor Program and Early Childhood Education 101 - Learn the basics, history and philosophy of the nationally-recognized Parent Mentor Program! Provided by the Logan Square Neighborhood Association and the Southwest Organizing Project.
- Parent Mentor Program and Early Childhood Education – Session for Existing Partners - A reflection and strategy session for partners and key stakeholders already involved in the Parent Mentor Program. Provided by the Logan Square Neighborhood Association and the Southwest Organizing Project.
- College Bound – Pathways for All Immigrants - Hear from experts from City Colleges of Chicago, IL DREAM Fund and IIT about the pathways for adults and young adults going to college or transitioning from ESL or GED to a college education and career.
- Welcoming Cities: Setting the Stage for Local and Municipal Leadership in Immigrant Integration - A panel discussion on municipal partnerships to advance immigrant integration and share best practices for creating more welcoming cities in Illinois and throughout the country!
- Building Coalitions to Fight Mass Incarceration - Join us for a panel discussion with Commissioner Jesus Garcia Elena Quintana (Adler School of Professional Psychology) on effective coalition-building that responds to the criminalizaton of the immigrant and African American communities.
- Protecting Your Electoral Power - Get to know the common issues facing voters at the polls from voter intimidation to language access, and get trained on poll monitoring! Provided by the Asian American Institute.
- Addressing Domestic Violence and Mental Health in Our Communities - This workshop addresses barriers to services for victims of domestic abuse such as cultural, linguistic, legal, economic factors and the fear of deportation. Provided by Arab American Family Services.
- Housing Resources Workshop - This workshop will provide information and resources on Rental Housing, Foreclosure Prevention, and Homebuyer Assistance. Provided by Northside Community Resources, Brighton Park Neighborhood Council and the Rogers Park Community Development Corporation.
- How To Build Power - Organizing and Advocating for CIR - Join Josh Hoyt (ICIRR), Rudy Lopez (Center for Community Change) and Gabe Lopez (Statehouse Lobbyist) to learn about effective state and federal advocacy.
- Protecting Our Workers - Hear about ground-breaking efforts to protect low-wage workers and ensure the health and safety of all workers. Includes panelists from ARISE Chicago, Chicago Community and Workers Rights, SEIU Local 1 and Warehouse Workers UE.